Have you used your calculator for something that was not really math related?
03-08-2017, 11:41 PM
Have you used your calculator for something that was not really math related?
Some examples to clarify the title.

If I use my calculator to compute solutions while I study engineering, the usage is pretty math related, because mathematics is one core knowledge of engineering.

The same is valid if I study, well, mathematics, computer science, economics, physics, a bit less biology but still the observation is valid, and in short all the STEM fields.

The same applies if I use the calculator at work in a STEM related field.

What I mean for "not really math related" is some application where normally a computing machine is not used.

For example since I love to use my calculators (primarly the sharp el 506w and the hp50g) but I do not really engage in activities suitable for them, I realized that I could use them in other activities.

- I used a calculator to simulate a dice for board games, especially when the table was small and I could not throw 2 or more dices without messing up the board. (using a computer would not be feasible too clumsy, while existing applications for smartphones are not as flexible as an homemade program)
- In developing a board wargame, with hex and counters, I employed formulas to assess unit damage that were pretty long (using up to 14 digits for intermediate results), and I automated the results through a calculator. Again, a calculator was pretty neat to use due to its physical format and effectiveness.
- In existing boardgames like fortress america, axis and allies, Risk, battles with napoleon forces, etc. ; I automated the computation dice and casualties, that otherwise may be tedious with large clashes.
- I used it for gamifying activities, counting scores according to time spent in them, in real time (In this case using the busy wait on the hp 50g was not so neat for the battery life).

What are your "uncommon" usages for a calculator instead?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Have you used your calculator for something that was not really math related? - pier4r - 03-08-2017 11:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)