Have you used your calculator for something that was not really math related?
03-01-2019, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2019 01:39 PM by pier4r.)
RE: Have you used your calculator for something that was not really math related?
Another not math related task for a calculator is to collect time and weight it. Pretty useful to see how one spends one's time according to his perception, since time is one of the most ubiquitous quantity to indirectly measure other things.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-11363.html

About the flashcards idea (if I remember correctly that was Joe H. sharing it), it can be done too. Although I found it easier (less maintenance) to do the following:

- write on paper what you want to remember, with numbers as index.
Example for German:
I have one set of pages with only the German keyword (or concepts), without article, declination, etc.. Each word has a number.
Another set of pages with English equivalents of the German words, having the same number of the German word they refer to.
Another set of pages with additional info (declination, conjugation, superlative form, annotations and what not). The info are numbered as well with the same number to the German keyword they refer to.

- The on the calculator I have the algorithm that pick a number randomly (and also tells me if I have to look at the German entry or the English one) and asks me how difficult was to remember correctly the info or to satisfy the annotations (for example: write 2 sentences with this concept). If it was easy, then it goes lowering the weight for the repetition, otherwise it raises it.

Many flashcards programs do like this, like Anki, but I never liked how their algorithm works to weight the repetition. In most cases either one has to repeat things often, or once one select "it was easy" one will never see that concept again.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have you used your calculator for something that was not really math related? - pier4r - 03-01-2019 01:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)