[HP 71B] Software for FRAM71 users
02-04-2017, 08:39 PM
RE: [HP 71B] Software for FRAM71 users
Hi Dave,
(02-03-2017 04:27 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I like the way this is coming along. Smile
Thank you.

(02-03-2017 04:27 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Feature Request:
In EduCALC Tech Note #4 it states that the 71 often allocates 32k for the HP-IL module. (What!)

First of all, this is false. What is observed is that there is a decrease of 32k in available address space when the HP-IL module is installed. Also, there are valid memory configurations that produce a configuration warning when device is FREEPORT'ed.
I would love to see the configurations you’re talking about.

(02-03-2017 04:27 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  This is because the 71 configures RAM and ROM/IRAM in two separate configuration tables. So while MEMDIS may report 32k of address space available, it might be split between ROM and RAM.

As a challenge, I'd like to see MEMDIS report separately the available memory in the two address spaces.

I don’t think that’s the purpose of MEMDIS, here’s why:
- I don’t think that having the address space full of ROMs or Lex files is a good thing for the stability of the system. Beyond a point more RAM will just bring more chances to have a corrupted chain file.
- I paid attention to keep the code as straight forward as I could in order to have a quick output, with all the necessary information and minimal requirement. The functionality you’re talking about involves memorizing all the block sizes in order to do the calculations, which has to be done without the help of the Math module or others Lex files, and in the same way as the OS does. That possible but the app will inevitably grow for an information that in my actual own opinion, do not worth it.
- I’m already looking into another application which, IF I have the time to work on it, will bring such a possibility… So that said, I’m also interested in learning how the OS works.

With an HC ROM configured, the amount of available space for RAM or ROM/IRAM, is more or less the same, depending on device sizes.

I would love to hear from FRAM71 users to know if the app is actually useful.

Best regards, André
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[HP 71B] Software for FRAM71 users - dayd - 02-01-2017, 10:17 PM
RE: [HP 71B] Software for FRAM71 users - dayd - 02-04-2017 08:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)