newRPL: Output to a text console
01-13-2017, 04:40 PM
RE: newRPL: Output to a text console
(01-13-2017 03:22 PM)Han Wrote:  This seems like a convoluted way to write a program whereas an actual program would probably be easier to code and read.

Yes it is! These millenials... :-), always separating programs in a front-end and a back-end. Me, I use my programs loose in a directory, always from the stack with no UI at all.

Are you sure a program with the nine-argument POL in sysRPL is less convoluted and easier to read than these worksheets? I challenge you to post the skeleton of a triangle solver with a full POL that displays and updates a sketch dynamically, similar to what I did in the worksheet example and let's compare notes.

(01-13-2017 03:22 PM)Han Wrote:  Was it Unix that had the idea that each command should really just do one thing and do it well? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. It seems to me that a "text viewer" (or terminal screen) has become "Emacs-ized" to include everything but the kitchen sink. I'm exaggerating, of course, by why should a terminal screen also take on the role of ... well... text editor, compiler, and executor?

Well, this follows that Unix philosophy. RPL is good for number crunching, so why try to make RPL work a UI? Let's have a UI engine that does that well (and that alone), and an RPL language that crunches the numbers well.
This proposal of Forms/Console or worksheet or whatever you want to call it basically allows simple front-end prototyping with a text-editor, while you leave RPL code to work in the back end.
If you look at my example, you can see the solver is an independent RPL program, you don't need to run the Form to use the program. The worksheet only helps organize the input, and organize and display the output so it can be captured.

(01-13-2017 03:22 PM)Han Wrote:  I do think that a generic parameterized outer loop would be nice to have, though.
I can give you a POL (like the sysRPL POL), as a matter of fact everything in newRPL is designed to do so. But for the average person, I think it would be easier to write a worksheet than it is to code a whole UI with a blank canvas POL.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: Output to a text console - Han - 01-13-2017, 03:22 PM
RE: newRPL: Output to a text console - Claudio L. - 01-13-2017 04:40 PM
RE: newRPL: Output to a text console - Han - 01-13-2017, 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)