newRPL: Output to a text console
01-13-2017, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2017 04:06 PM by Han.)
RE: newRPL: Output to a text console
This seems like a convoluted way to write a program whereas an actual program would probably be easier to code and read. Was it Unix that had the idea that each command should really just do one thing and do it well? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. It seems to me that a "text viewer" (or terminal screen) has become "Emacs-ized" to include everything but the kitchen sink. I'm exaggerating, of course, by why should a terminal screen also take on the role of ... well... text editor, compiler, and executor?

I do think that a generic parameterized outer loop would be nice to have, though.

EDIT: Why not just recreate the INFORM command, but open up the command entirely. On the HP48, you had to use SysRPL in order to get any "real" use out of the INFORM command. Since we are trying for backward compatibility, why not recreate the INFORM command, and then extend it to allow users to use the message handlers, etc.? Then they can control every single aspect of the input form. This would mean users can also make use of their knowledge of the HP48/HP49/HP50 input form and not have to learn (and for you, to create) a new syntax. This can all be done separately from a terminal console (which I think is nice to have)

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: Output to a text console - Han - 01-13-2017 03:22 PM
RE: newRPL: Output to a text console - Han - 01-13-2017, 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)