HP-41 GPS Module - True or fiction?
11-07-2016, 10:53 PM
RE: HP-41 GPS Module - True or fiction?

Hi, Ángel:

(11-06-2016 03:49 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Well, fiction so far... but the question is could it be done?

I wouldn't be so sure about the "fiction" part.

Back in the 80's, a number of HP calc fans, myself included, used to gather late in the evening in the Ateneo de Madrid building, to show off our 41's and new synthetics and such to one another, and discuss anything and everything HP-calc related.

Among those people there were some that worked at HP and/or had some insight as to new products, modules, etc., and lo and behold, at one of those gatherings someone wished to show us all an HP-41C fitted with a beta GPS ROM module.

We gasped in amazement and tried it, watching the coordinates in the display and even considering taking it for a short walk to see the display change accordingly and such. Everyone was quite impressed though it would lose the signal at times and required careful positioning within the Ateneo for optimum signal reception.

Perhaps it was some elaborate joke but I don't think so, no one seemed to be making any lame attempt at humour and the fact that it was an experimental, beta product with still many rough edges was made perfectly clear.

Perhaps it existed but was never released and eventually abandoned. Anyway, I saw it that one time, and never again (same happened with the HP-71B, we saw and played with one at one of those meetings months before it was finally announced and released).

Best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-41 GPS Module - True or fiction? - Valentin Albillo - 11-07-2016 10:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)