HP-25 vs. SR-56 - HHC 2016 Follow-up
10-08-2016, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 03:33 PM by Valentin Albillo.)
RE: HP-25 vs. SR-56 - HHC 2016 Follow-up
Hi again, Gene;

(10-07-2016 09:58 PM)Gene Wrote:  Take a look sometime at the youtube video of the HHC presentation and see what you think.

Done. Nice presentation you gave, by the way, I hadn't seen it before I posted my reply to your OP and indeed you mention the capabilities I pointed out.

However, I don't think the "SR-56 - not a loser" header is fair. Matter of fact, from a programming capabilities point of view the SR-56 is the clear winner when compared to the HP-25: more room for larger programs, more storage registers, subroutines, dsz, better accuracy (I'll take 13 digits over 10 any day no matter how well fine-tuned those 10 digits allegedly are).

At the end of the day, all programs you can fit in an HP-25 will also fit in an SR-56 with plenty of room to spare while the converse isn't true at all. I can think of tons of useful ones that would fit and run in an SR-56 but would be impossible to fit in an HP-25 no matter how clever the programming and no matter how good the programming environment. Thus the SR-56 wins hands down.

Last but not least, your sample Gamma program seems to me wholly inadequate to make the point you were trying to make. It's mostly a plain-vanilla straight formula which doesn't require any of the advanced SR-56 capabilities such as subroutines, and which, as you admit in your presentation, you programmed hastily and with no attempt at any optimizations or even competent AOS programming (you mention probably redundant parentheses and storing everything because you sorely missed the RPN stack).

I don't think the resulting program is evidence of anything, least of all of much better efficiency and such. In my opinion, bad evidence is worse than no evidence and only serves to mislead.

Anyway, as I said, nice presentation. Congratulations and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-25 vs. SR-56 - HHC 2016 Follow-up - Valentin Albillo - 10-08-2016 03:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)