HP 19BII running on SR-44s
09-10-2016, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2016 07:53 PM by Chasfield.)
HP 19BII running on SR-44s
I have seen the HP 19BII battery door problem solved in a couple of ways. Somebody made a clip style battery retainer out of metal strip, then installed SR-44s in the single cell half of the battery compartment with the help of foil packing pieces to take up the unused spaces. The other method was braver. The owner cemented the original battery door shut, then cut out a new one in the rear case to allow easy lifting in and out of batteries. A very neat job it was.

My HP 19BII's battery door was just about to give out so I decided on a fix midway between the above two. I cut a small access door for SR-44s over the single cell side of the battery compartment. In order to reduce its length and give firm support to the positive base of the button cells, I cemented in a conductive spacer, made from a piece of scrap copper pipe. I soldered a wire onto the spacer and ran it back to the contact spring of the double cell side of the battery compartment. An access hole was drilled near the spring to facilitate soldering. The original battery door was then cemented permanently with two part epoxy - it is now mechanically and electrically redundant, and sits nice and flat.

A couple of pictures are attached to show the progress so far. I still need to knock up some kind of battery cover. The soldering access hole will be covered with some thin rubber strip. A square of insulation tape is doing the job for now.

The calculator is working fine. Inserting the cells is fairly easy but is helped considerably if the first two to go in are Sellotaped together.

This is the first HP calculator I have hacked holes in on the same day that I received it!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP 19BII running on SR-44s - Chasfield - 09-10-2016 07:28 PM
RE: HP 19BII running on SR-44s - Chasfield - 09-11-2016, 12:22 PM
RE: HP 19BII running on SR-44s - Chasfield - 09-13-2016, 04:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)