[newRPL] Filesystem related date/time issues
10-18-2016, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2016 06:52 PM by matthiaspaul.)
RE: [newRPL] Filesystem related date/time issues
(08-15-2016 12:13 PM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  
(08-15-2016 02:44 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Regarding the sanitization of date/time: the file system does nothing with these values, so invalid dates don't disturb its operation. I think the user code that uses these dates/times is better positioned to decide what to do with an invalid date than the file system layer (which would just mark as invalid and discard everything), so it's better not to touch them.
For example, a program might be looking for all files on a certain year, then doesn't care if the month is invalid as long as the year is good. Other program could be sorting files by date, and needs all fields to be valid. That same program could prefer to list a month 13 after the other files that year (and month 14 would go after 13 and before 15), while if we force it to zero to indicate invalid month, it would have to list it first (and there's no difference between month 13, 14 or 15).
That's right, and could be adjusted to use another special value to indicate "invalid". The reason why I proposed to use 0 is because that's what is actually used on disk by the FAT filesystem to indicate "month not set" or "day not set" (see the other comment above).

I don't think it would be a good idea to propagate invalid values (except for one "neutral" value) up to the frontend (RPL), as users are expecting "mathematical correctness" here (perhaps even doing some calendar calculations on it and just relying on that the values are either well-formatted or clearly indicated as invalid). They probably don't expect date functions to return impossibly high days and months (even if that would happen only in case the filesystem stores invalid entries - ensuring that it hasn't, is, I think, outside a user's responsibility and scope).

Being able to search for "month 13 or 14" might make sense on a lower level - for a lower level API function, perhaps. However, I'm not sure if that would still hold true on a calculator. Are you expecting people to write CHKDSK-like tools to be used on the calc?

(Sidenote: Except for the two special values of 0 for months and days, the only invalid values I have ever encountered in practise on FAT volumes were hour = 24, minute = 60 and second/2 = 30 as well as invalid days in February (but still not larger than 31. [...])
I stumbled upon an old bug-report for the original HP 49g+/50g firmware 2.09. Since it documents a problem with time stamps created by the calculator, I thought it might make sense to include it here for easier future reference:

http://bugs.hpcalc.org/show_bug.cgi?id=234
James M. Prange Wrote:FAT file system directory entries that the 49g+ and 50g write to the MMC/SD card sometimes have an incorrect file creation or last-modified time showing 60 seconds. This doesn't seem to cause any problems on the calculator itself, and MS Windows Explorer is "smart enough" to increment the minutes (it doesn't display the seconds) for these cases, but disk checking utilities such as MS ScanDisk and Norton Disk Doctor detect these errors (and optionally correct them). [...]
If you'd include timestamp validity checks at filesystem level, the existence of this bug in a "sister project" (where it cannot be fixed anymore, unfortunately) might be worth adding a special case to newRPL to cope and possibly auto-correct such timestamps (as Windows does), but otherwise it's just something having to keep in mind when developing the application-level code later on.

I didn't saw this occuring on the HP 50g myself (and didn't try to force it with 2.15 so far), but as I mentioned further up, I have observed basically the same problem (also for minutes and hours) in other not fully debugged filesystem implementations as well.

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [newRPL] Filesystem related date/time issues - matthiaspaul - 10-18-2016 09:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)