HP 50g & SD Cards: Performance, Format, Notes
08-29-2016, 03:28 AM
RE: HP 50g & SD Cards: Performance, Format, Notes
(08-29-2016 02:51 AM)JDW Wrote:  I refuse to give up. There simply MUST be a logical explanation.

It all seems to be tied to the "WRITE PROTECTED" errors the 50g gives me. That would explain why the 50g can READ but not WRITE from my SD cards. But like I said, I know my cards are NOT locked, and I even used tape on both sides of the card to prove it.

So what could cause the 50g to believe an inserted SD card is write protected? And how do I fix that?

Thanks.

There's 2 different ways to write-protect a card:
a) The mechanical switch in the card, which is a piece of plastic that does nothing. It's not connected to the card, but the host has to sense the position and respect the wishes of the user.
b) Internal write protection. This is done via special SD card commands sent to the card. I don't have the docs to try to unlock this, but unless somebody maliciously locked the card, this should never happen.

My best bet is on a). What if the sensor on your 50g got dirty or damaged?
Try other cards: if absolutely all cards report write protected, then most likely your 50g has this issue. You could try to open it and clean the sd card socket in the area of the switch and see if something is bent/broken there.

If it's only that one card, then there's a more remote possibility that it got software-locked somehow, or that the card is drawing much more power than usual for some reason during write and the 50g can't supply it (old batteries?). Insufficient current could make the card report an error during a write. The OS is quite primitive, so I wouldn't be surprised if it reports write protect just because it's the most common cause of a write error.

Another thing to try: newRPL ignores the write protect switch, so if the problem is a), then newRPL should be able to write to your card normally.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 50g & SD Cards: Performance, Format, Notes - Claudio L. - 08-29-2016 03:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)