HP 50g & SD Cards: Performance, Format, Notes
08-09-2016, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2016 12:10 AM by JDW.)
RE: HP 50g & SD Cards: Performance, Format, Notes
(08-08-2016 12:50 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  It would make sense for you to force for example 2k byte clusters on the 32 MB partition, which would make the FAT 4 times smaller. That is, if you want to reduce those 500 ms to an even smaller value.

I of course want to reduce that 500ms to 0, if possible. And that begs the question. In your newRPL, isn't there a way to avoid checking the SD card at all immediately after pressing ON? Then once the calc is ON, you can then check the SD card "in the background"? Or is this kind of multitasking impossible on the 50g?

The thinking here is that if the calc would simply stop trying to check the card immediately after ON is pressed, card size, speed and even cluster size shouldn't matter (at least, not until you eventually try to access the card).

I don't have my 50g in front of me now, but later I will reformat the 32MB partition on the 2GB SD card and increase the cluster size to 2k, as you suggest, and then see how that impacts startup time. Interestingly, Microsoft says that drives from 16MB to 127MB in size SHOULD have a cluster size of 2k.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 50g & SD Cards: Performance, Format, Notes - JDW - 08-09-2016 12:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)