HP 50g & SD Cards: Performance, Format, Notes
07-23-2016, 02:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2016 02:07 AM by Claudio L..)
RE: HP 50g & SD Cards: Performance, Format, Notes
(07-23-2016 12:34 AM)JDW Wrote:  
(07-22-2016 06:27 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I think the optimum combination is one of those with a 128 MB partition...

But didn't MatthiasPaul argue in his post here that partitioning wouldn't yield what one would expect? He seems to argue against partitioning.

What he correctly pointed out was that my assumption that because you don't use the rest of the card it will be used for wear leveling was incorrect. On SSD disks and other flash media, you can deallocate (and erase) blocks and leave them "ready for other use" (TRIM, etc.), but there's no such thing on SD cards. A sector will always be assumed to contain data and won't be reused.
This doesn't mean a smaller partition won't make your calculator boot faster, it means my claim that the card was going to last longer was wrong. It will last roughly the same (perhaps slightly more for the reasons Matthias explained).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 50g & SD Cards: Performance, Format, Notes - Claudio L. - 07-23-2016 02:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)