HP 50g & SD Cards: Performance, Format, Notes
07-18-2016, 04:46 AM
RE: HP 50g & SD Cards: Performance, Format, Notes
(07-18-2016 03:42 AM)JDW Wrote:  With that said, I already have a 256MB slow-poke SD card from an old video camera which I intend to use. Even so, the questions put forth in my previous post remain. Still curious about Joe's comment...

"BUT it DOES matter if you plan on doing frequent memory backups to the card..."

Does the 50g somehow go FASTER than 2MB/s during backups? :-) If not, how would a faster card then matter?

You do the math... Joe said 200 kb in 10 seconds? That's 20 kb/sec, I don't know any SD card that slow. What is most likely happening is that some compatibility problem is forcing the card to reset after each read/write transaction, and the card might be taking a few milliseconds to "reboot". I'd stick with the "speed doesn't matter" since almost every SD card (except the really old ones) should be capable of doing 2 MB/s. However, a good brand DOES matter! Compatiblity was an issue back in the day, almost a non-issue with more modern SD cards.
For compatibility reasons, you should buy a modern 2 GB card, just create a 256 MB partition to keep the calculator boot times reasonable (or better off, try different sizes and combinations of partition size/cluster size until you find the best for you). The rest of the card is not going to be unused, as SD cards have internal level-wearing. This means you will use the whole 2 GB of flash, just that your card will last much longer than a smaller card.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 50g & SD Cards: Performance, Format, Notes - Claudio L. - 07-18-2016 04:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)