33s at roughly same price as 50g nowadays?
07-08-2016, 03:04 AM
RE: 33s at roughly same price as 50g nowadays?
(07-08-2016 02:41 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Why is the 33s at the same price (or more expensive) than a 50g? I happen to have a 33s that I got for the PE exam, and very seldom use while my two 50g's do all the daily workload.
I don't use it much, but doesn't feel like a great calculator, at least to me. I wrote a few programs and it feels quite limited, so I don't understand the high price. Or is it just me being spoiled by the power of the 50g?

The 33S was never a very popular machine, so only moderate numbers were bought, many had keyboard issues and many were tossed, so there are relatively few used machines available today in eBay, etc. Any HP machine that is rare commands a higher than sensible price, because there are lots of collectors that want to have one of every (major) model.

At the same time, the 50g was very popular and has been in production for many years, all relatively recently, so most are still in working order. Then HP quitting production lead to many dealers dumping them at quite low prices.

So the higher than should-be 33S price is similar to the lower than should-be 50g. Price and capability have no correlation in a collectors market.

In fact, on eBay, used 33S machines almost always go for much more than Amazon's price for a brand new 50g.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 33s at roughly same price as 50g nowadays? - rprosperi - 07-08-2016 03:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)