HP Prime Battery consumption analysis
07-08-2015, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2015 03:32 PM by Tim Wessman.)
RE: HP Prime Battery consumption analysis
(07-08-2015 03:04 PM)springer5 Wrote:  If HP don't sell (which is a disgrace in itself btw) them where do they get them from. Someone must sell them surely.

The batteries on the shelf can only sit for 1-2 years before needing replacement (sitting discharged is actually really bad for this type of battery). HP, like nearly all electronics manufactures, no longer sells low volume small part items. If the stock of batteries doesn't move quickly enough, they will be dead and done before they even made it out of the warehouses.

Besides, why wouldn't you want a battery that would probably be 3x-4x cheaper then what HP would sell it at which also happens to increase your battery life by 30% or so. The crux of the usefulness in AA batteries or similar is ubiquitousness, cost, and availability. I think we've come about as close as it is possible to get for a lipo battery unfortunately.

Quote:Great when it's new but 1 year in when the battery has started to get tired what do they expect us to do, just throw the device away?

If you use a very aggressive .5 week between draining the battery (in reality, most people seems to be in the 2-3 weeks range), you are looking at ~100 or so charges per year. Considering that most batteries won't start having any user noticeable impacts for 200-300 charges, and probably up in the ~500 range before it gets problematic - you've actually got a really long life with even an extremely aggressive (dare I say unrealistic?) use estimate!

Remember, this isn't a phone being charged and discharged daily! Were it, I'd agree with you 100%.

If you use a more typical 2 week of use estimate, you've now pushed out the life into the 8-15 year range by all best information I can gather. Provided your processor and memory hasn't worn away from all the wear and tear of those electrons racing along, or the tin hasn't grown to short circuit your board, or the plastic hasn't absorbed polutants and become brittle, or (insert some other myriad of thing that can kill modern electronics).... chances are your battery will be the least of your worries.

The reality is, nobody knows what happens with respect to the long term with the current crop of battery technology. Most of the manufacturing techniques and chemistry changes (slightly) enough every 1-2 years that there is NO data regarding this. Before considering a rechargeable li-poly battery we spent a long time consulting battery experts both in and outside of HP to try and get longevity information. Unfortunately, it just doesn't exist.

Quote:And how much longer will the GSG3 be around if it comes to that, it's been around for a while already...

True, but consider that you can still purchase batteries from many vendors all around the world for the Galaxy S (2010). That is already 5 years old and you can still buy a battery for it.

An internal rechargeable battery was simply a requirement for the product. For every person like you or I who considers that a drawback, there are probably another 99 or more who think it is amazing.

Thanks for your thoughts!

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP Prime Battery consumption analysis - eelcor - 12-23-2013, 10:39 PM
RE: HP Prime Battery consumption analysis - eelcor - 12-25-2013, 10:12 AM
RE: HP Prime Battery consumption analysis - Tim Wessman - 07-08-2015 03:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)