[WP 34S] Enhanced Y register display: fractions, bugfixes etc.
02-06-2014, 06:10 PM
RE: [WP 34S] Enhanced Y register display: fractions, bugfixes etc.
(02-06-2014 02:39 AM)Bit Wrote:  I've found the problem, applied a quick fix and uploaded a new binary (which doesn't display the question marks) into the original post. I'd be interested in feedback about the new version.
I like the y-register display behavior in general, and the way you handle the f, g, h and c annunciators. I like the way you display a y at the beginning of the 2nd line display after a Polar to Rectangular conversion, and the angle symbol after a Rectangular to Polar to conversion. This is remarkably similar to a two-line display mode developed by our friend Nigel Dowrick (see this old Forum thread).

(02-06-2014 04:51 PM)Bit Wrote:  There's a compile time option to enable or disable the gradian symbol. If it's disabled, the only indication that you're in gradian mode is that both the RAD and the 360 annunciators are off. Do you think that would be better? If anyone has an idea about how to deal with this in a more user-friendly way, I'd like to hear about it.

Gradians are rarely used AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong), so it probably doesn't matter a lot how they're indicated.

The conflict with the G annunciator while in grads mode does not bother me because I have never and likely never will use grads mode. The option to leave it out and only indicate grads by the absence of both the RAD and 360 annunciators would be fine. Or maybe indicate by lighting both of those at the same time - the cognitive dissonance evoked by having both lit might be a better reminder than having both unlit.

The only other comment I have is, is it my imagination, or is response to keystrokes a little sluggish? When entering a multi-digit value, it seems like the numbers appear in the display relatively slowly, especially if I am using both thumbs to key in the value. Not a big deal, just wondering if it is really there.

Dave - My mind is going - I can feel it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [WP 34S] Enhanced Y register display: fractions, bugfixes etc. - Jeff O. - 02-06-2014 06:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)