[WP 34S] Ideas for improving unit conversions
02-02-2014, 04:44 PM
RE: [WP 34S] Ideas for improving unit conversions
(02-02-2014 02:13 PM)Bit Wrote:  Since you asked, I think it's arguable that the first point about the U.S. survey units not being presented clearly (are they commonly used in the U.S.? no) or consistently (why isn't the fathom called ftmUS if there's feetUS?) could be considered a bug.

Like a few other things, also CONV saw some uncontrolled expansion during the project. My fault. I didn't care enough about those items since I don't need them anyway. Looking from today, the fathom may be dropped. So I agree on your suggestion there.

About the different feet (of various kings and common men Wink ): Please see p. 156 (of 244) for their explanations. What's wrong or unclear there?

Some topics from your OP:
  • cft vs. cu ft: AFAIK blanks are no legal characters in a unit name on the WP 34S. There is no official abbreviation established (mess!) but cu.ft or ft³ or cbft would be possible, the latter matching sqft well (consistency is no criterium there, I know, but nevertheless). Could be changed. In fact, the cubic foot was only included for its conversion to liters which OTOH may be calculated easily taking the linear foot. So cft may be dropped as well.
  • acres: I don't see any acreUK on my WP 34S. Which build do you run?
  • sqft: Please see cft above. I vote against introducing sqft in CONV.
  • mi/gal: In fact, that's inverse proportional to l/100 km. We did (and do) not intend to include any combined units in CONV for sake of keeping Pandora's box closed.
  • arrows: We've got some arrows being part of command names. Thus the sorting order.

Hope this explains some of your observations.

d:-I
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [WP 34S] Ideas for improving unit conversions - walter b - 02-02-2014 04:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)