Best calculator for the working engineer
07-18-2016, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2016 10:11 PM by Vtile.)
RE: Best calculator for the working engineer
Somehow I feel that graphing calculator is stigma that renders a calculator with more than two lines of information as a "nonproductive or overkill" and not a serious device (the *face factor*) in certain parts of the world. HP48 is more acceptable since it is not GFX calculator? I have been amusing myself reading what gåågle have to say on the matter (typical applause of puritism and the glorification of the "right way").

That said 50g is huge, sadly it could be miniaturized and squeezed to the size pocket size, but I assume that never happens.

PS, Btw. Logan have you tested out the 4th shift ?? aka user keyboard layer, makes huge improvement since you can just assign any userRPL program or build in function to any key you want or use it as default layer and replace all default supporting keys with your "scientific functionality". Industrial grade label maker do make wonders too for those custom keys, since HP refuged to draw good designs / tricks from the past to 50g (41 keyboard stencils) (ok, well some of the good designs..).

<<Your program>>
91 <- key number
ASN [enter]

Also making making "most used" menus for yourself to your "desktop" folder is really handy, IE. doing program MSTUSD: << {CONVERT 1_V 1_A 1_(OMEGASYMBOL) 1_s 1_m {"<=" << 0 MENU MSTUSD >>} 1_F 1_W 1_S 1_W*s 1_A*s/m ...and so forth } TMENU >>makes working with units even better and same goes for many other things. Or you can assign that program / menu to any key with the user keyboard feature.

PPS. One other thing what I like with physical calculators, their quality is more controlled than random phone application than can have really odd bugs. For calculator the accuracy and behaviour is normally known, if the device is somehow proper quality. Plus the longevity, I do want to learn one calculator and use it next 25 years in level of the extension of my own arms. No one knows the longevity of the phones or their apps.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best calculator for the working engineer - Vtile - 07-18-2016 09:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)