Service required for HP 9160A Optical Card Reader
01-03-2016, 09:33 PM
RE: Service required for HP 9160A Optical Card Reader
(01-03-2016 06:48 PM)TASP Wrote:  As always, wait for a consensus before doing anything, however, I've seen fuses blow from apparently not much more than old age, and I'm thinking your fuse in the 9100B was ancient indeed.

Yes, that fuse was ancient. However, a few months ago I've successfully connected other peripherals to the 9100B without blowing the fuse.

(01-03-2016 06:48 PM)TASP Wrote:  Maybe there isn't anything wrong with the card reader ??

At least the transport roll was totally rotten. I couldn't even measure the correct diameter. So I replaced it with a gummy ring that might not fit well. However, I've no idea if that can have a bad impact on the correct operation.

(01-03-2016 06:48 PM)TASP Wrote:  As in human medicine, the first rule is to do no harm. Maybe ohm out the optical card reader and see if it measures anything other than a dead short, then reporting back here for the rest to weigh in.

If it does measure a dead short, that is significant, and potentially easy to find.

I have to admit that I'm an electronic nobody. My interpretation of "ohm out the optical card reader" is to measure the resistance of each pair of the interface pins. Correct?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Service required for HP 9160A Optical Card Reader - Jurgen Keller - 01-03-2016 09:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)