HP-95LX palmtop personal computer: A blast from the recent past?
12-16-2015, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2015 01:57 PM by striegel.)
HP-95LX palmtop: removing and re-applying keyboard overlay
The plastic overlay surrounding the keys is strong and flexible and the adhesive holding it down is not overly aggressive, so it can be removed without doing any damage to it. This is not like the metal overlays used on the older HP calculators.

I have done this on multiple 95LX/100LX/200LX machines over the years - removing them without applying any heat - and never had one get creased. If you are careful, the overlay can even be put back into place without applying new glue.

BUT... don't try to clean the old adhesive off the back of the overlay with any solvent. That can dissolve the printing right off the back of the plastic. If the adhesive is too dry and will not hold, you can lightly scrape with the edge of a knife and pull off any lumps (like with tweezers). Then maybe some thinned rubber cement would be best to glue it back down.

On one 200LX that I moved into a 100LX's case, I used 1/8"-wide Scor-Tape double-sided adhesive tape to re-attach the overlay.

(12-16-2015 01:33 PM)jebem Wrote:  ...
However, to access the keys we need to remove the front keyboard plastic cover, and it seems to me that the only way to do it is to somehow destroy the original integrity off the machine, as it appears to be glued.

Did you try it yourself?

Normally we end up with a more or less damaged front panel that will never be the same as the original, unless you are very lucky or very skilled!
I have destroyed a couple of HP-17B and 32SII by doing this procedure.
So, I only peel of these glued front panels when I really need to access the inside components for repair.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP-95LX palmtop: removing and re-applying keyboard overlay - striegel - 12-16-2015 01:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)