What Was Your First Programming Language?
12-08-2017, 02:24 PM
RE: What Was Your First Programming Language?
(12-08-2017 02:10 PM)jthole Wrote:  Strangely enough the school did not offer any computer related lessons. There were a few P2000T computers in a single classroom, and after school hours you could lend the key, to work with them. They were very much a novelty, and I think there were only a couple of kids interested.

It was very similar in my school. The first computer they had was a desktop calculator from Compucorp, must have been around 1977, with no display, just a keyboard and a printer. Math teachers would haul it into their classrooms in turns and demonstrate stuff like Newton's method, numerical integration or Fibonacci numbers. Students were not supposed to even touch it...

In my last year (1979-1980) they acquired a PET2001 to be used by students. One had to reserve one hour slots with the school secretary and would be given a key to the room where it was standing when one's time had come. The school library had some copies of the manual which one could borrow to prepare oneself in advance. There was a lot of demand and I only managed three or four hours with that machine before school was over for me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was Your First Programming Language? - Maximilian Hohmann - 12-08-2017 02:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)