What Was Your First Programming Language?
12-03-2017, 01:09 AM
RE: What Was Your First Programming Language?
I can't honestly say which programming language I rubbed shoulders with first, as I can remember LOGO (on a 6809-based system), Apple IIe, and my little Sharp PC-1247, which ran BASIC. For a while, I had a ZX-81 (but had no screen to run it with) and some CPU (I think it might have been 4004) that you programmed with switches.

Since then of course I've run into assembler (8080, Z80, Motorola 68000+others, Intel/AMD 80x86, POWER (mainly PPC), ARM, Saturn, 6502 and a tiny little bit of 6809), ash/bash/sh/csh/ksh/pdksh/tcsh/tcl/zsh, autoconf, awk (and gawk), more BASIC than I can shake a stick at, brain****, C, C++, C#, dBase III+, flex+yacc, forth, fortran, F#, java, javascript, Lisp, MMIX from TAoCP (yes, Knuth's baby), Modula-2, Pascal, perl, Postscript, powershell, Python, REXX (and ARexx), RPL (50g variant), ruby, sed, Smalltalk (-76,-80, Squeak etc), SQL (PostGreSQL, MySQL, NoSQL), TeX, vim (yes, it has a scripting language, sort of) xml, and several others I can neither remember nor name. Very little has stuck except for what I'm using currently (Casio BASIC for the fx-9750, a bit of bash and RPL). I certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert in anything.

Funnily enough, I've hardly ever seen COBOL, SNOBOL, PL/1 or APL. Others I've generally stayed away from are some of the functional languages such as Heron or Haskell.

(Post 139)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was Your First Programming Language? - brickviking - 12-03-2017 01:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)