Updating HP Prime Virtual Calculator Running on Mac OS X with WineBottler?
06-02-2015, 10:46 AM
RE: Updating HP Prime Virtual Calculator Running on Mac OS X with WineBottler?
True, Crossover is not free. However there are also cheaper versions available (with only 1 month of updates for example.) And they also distribute coupons quite often which give big discounts (Googling lead me there for example: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/codeweavers.com)

BUT: Crossover is entirely based on wine and winetricks, they just put a bit more love/$$$ into tweaking it so that it works. *That means*: In theory it should be possible to get it working with the normal, free version of wine.
I did a quick test: When I start (the free version) wine on my Mac, Wine shows the Crossover bottle as one of the available prefixes. Opening the file manager on that bottle, one can navigate to the Program files/Hewlett Packard... folder and start the emulator.
(One thing i had to do is to first choose another prefix, and then switch back to the prefix in which the Emu is installed, otherwise it would open a different location.)

So basically it seems to be enough to just do the install using the Trial version of crossover, and then for the rest use the free version of wine to run it.

Anyway: I found Crossover a very nice piece of software in the past. Less hassles than with the free WineBottler. I used Crossover in the past to get the Windows version of MS Office to run on Linux and Mac because I wasn't really satisfied with the Mac Version of MS Office, because it lacks some features. So buying crossover wouldn't be just a investment for an, otherwise free, emulator ^^
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Updating HP Prime Virtual Calculator Running on Mac OS X with WineBottler? - Stefan - 06-02-2015 10:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)