All About Slide Rules Book (PDF)
12-15-2017, 07:22 PM
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF)
(12-15-2017 05:40 PM)Benjer Wrote:  Doric is a name K&E applied to many of their plastic slide rules to further distinguish them from the celluloid-on-wood models they had been producing. They called this plastic "Ivorite" and I would say it lies at the better end of the spectrum of plastic slide rules that I have handled.

The number of interest on your slide rule is 68 1555, which is its model number. K&E switched to 68x model numbers around 1962 and used them until production ended in the 70s. Your slide rule may also have a serial number which might provide a more specific date if that interests you.

This model contains a fairly standard set of scales and can be used to perform most computations that slide rules were capable of.

Thank you Benjer.
the serial # may be 681555 - it's on the end opposite the word "Doric".
On the other side of the sliding scale, the flip side as it were with the B ST and S scales, it has a number - 043428. Not sure which could be the serial #.
Also says "made in U.S.A." at the top.
My father was a civil engineer and hydrologist, and used this rule up until he got an HP-35 in the early 1970s. I have no idea when or where he bought this.

Really is fun to learn, especially after 2 decades since his death, what one of his instruments was/is. And as I learn how to use it, feeling it in my hands like he did, is a thrill.

.....Art
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF) - rkf - 05-12-2015, 09:51 AM
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF) - larthurl - 12-15-2017 07:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)