All About Slide Rules Book (PDF)
04-16-2015, 11:20 AM
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF)
(04-15-2015 04:52 PM)Mark Wrote:  Hello,

Speaking about NIB slide rules (and wondering if it wasn't already told somewhere else on the forum) : especially for some of you who live in Europe, Faber-Castell still has some NOS silde rules. As a collector, 2014 was my "slide rules year" after 35 years of electronic and mechanical calculators. The first slide rules I got were from Faber-Castell. Problem, the prices are high ! Next I got a big stroke of luck, the best I can wish to other collectors : getting in touch with a (French) collector who began selling away everything he had. One month later I was (and still am) happy with slide rules from Europe, Japan, US.... And learning their use was a pure joy ! I couldn't help sharing all that with you :-)

Marc

Faber-Castell's shop (German only) : http://service.de.faber-castell-shop.com...chenstaebe

Surprising that a mainstream manufacturer / supplier is still selling unsold stock forty-plus years after it was made!

Some of the rules are quite temptingly priced (especially as in UK I wouldn't have to pay the duty and handling charges that shipments from US / Canada incur) but I really can't justify buying any more. As well as buying around a dozen NOS rules from web sellers in recent years, I have acquired a few from colleagues retiring and emptying their desk drawers.

But the satisfaction in using them is a little like that of listening to vinyl instead of CDs (or even worse, MP3s), and that is making a comeback, at least in UK, with mainstream shops now stocking vinyl LPs again. Who would have thought that ten years ago?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF) - Derek W - 04-16-2015 11:20 AM
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF) - rkf - 05-12-2015, 09:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)