All About Slide Rules Book (PDF)
04-14-2015, 02:59 PM
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF)
(04-11-2015 03:45 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  Which K & E are you looking for?

Picture a skinny kid in a white shirt, with a pocket protector holding about 7 pens|pencils, a piece of tape around the center of a dark pair of horn-rimmed glasses... and this Pickett hanging off his belt; heck, I almost looked like a Jedi knight/

Marcus,

I am thinking about starting with a K+E Deci-Lon (model 68-1100) since it is plastic and with 26 scales looks to have a pretty high nurd value. When looking on TAS, many of the wooden models show mis-alignment of the slide with the body in one way or another. I guess after 40 to 70 years of storage humidity would not be too kind.

Picket is something different: Aluminum construction, yellow versions, and a different scale layout. I see one in my future.

In school I didn't need to wear glasses, and had a HP-29C instead of a rule, but otherwise you pretty much described me. As far as skinny, I remember when my waist size was shorter than my inseam !!! Now that was a long time ago.

I remember when pocket protectors were treasured, not just in school, but at work as well. Even now, when I go out I prefer shirts with a pocket and take a pen and 3x5 index cards in a 'pocket briefcase' by by Levenger.** Most of the time I just consider this compensation for a greatly diminishing memory, but just yesterday I thought what a nurd I still am. The thought process goes something like this: "this is really nurdly, should this bother me? I guess I should review my appearance, rethink all these accessories......after some reflection, it doesn't bother me at all. It probably should, but doesn't, oh well"...(walking out the door)

And as if that's wasn't enough, now most of my pants are cargo pants. I guess that Boy Scout 'be prepaired' thing doesn't wear off either.

Mark

footnote: I didn't pay $39.00 for this. I picked it up at the Levenger outlet store for less than $10. When they make an embossing mistake with someone's initials, the pieces with the wrong initials end up at the outlet. I bought all my brothers one and in the package I pointed out that they now had new initials and suggested some names to match. It didn't bother anyone a bit (3 of the 4 of us are engineers). That was 2007, since then I have found something like this in a synthetic material (feels like silicone) at the Office Depot. Have one in the truck.

So, both nurd and meiser, they kinda go together, no? (Scotish blood on mom's side, so I have an excuse).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF) - MarkMason - 04-14-2015 02:59 PM
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF) - rkf - 05-12-2015, 09:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)