Portable Plus - Additional RAM
03-20-2015, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 03:25 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
RE: Portable Plus - Additional RAM
(03-20-2015 09:31 AM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  Hi Dave,
until now I only made a copy of the BASIC ROM. I guess I would have to learn something about the correct ROM format, just burning an .exe - file won't be enough, correct?
Or is that easy?
And I would be restricted to 128 kB per EPROM-pair when using 512kBit EPROMs; I know there have been special 1Mbit Eproms in 28 pin housings according to an ad in the Portable Paper, but of course I have never seen such a thing.
But of course this solution is much better than nothing.

What is your favorite ROM configuration for the PP?

My PP is basically a showpiece. It's loaded up with every ROM I have including Emu41 and a custom set. The custom set is a 128kB pair as you've described. It includes a full-screen editor that works with the PP and a few other utilities. It wasn't difficult to burn using the tools on J-F's site.

Regarding the TurboC IDE - many programs didn't play well with the PP. Sometimes you had to change the Console Mode and/or run the PCRUN utility, which improves compatability, from the '88 Subscriber's Disk.

Matthias' suggestion is also worth consideration. After all, the HPLX palmtops were the successors to the Portables. My only issue with the 200LX is the screen is rather small and my eyesight isn't getting any better.

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Portable Plus - Additional RAM - Dave Frederickson - 03-20-2015 03:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)