Clear Stack (CLST, CLSTK) and LastX
03-13-2015, 04:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2015 04:37 AM by MarkHaysHarris777.)
RE: Clear Stack (CLST, CLSTK) and LastX
(03-12-2015 09:23 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  The discussion about this wasn't too active or lively. It came down to:

1. RCL L is exactly the same as LastX in function;
  2. RCL L is the same number of key strokes as shift LastX and
  3. we saved a shifted keyboard position which are a very scarce resource.

I don't regret this change at all.

Thanks, Pauli... that's something I've wondered about, 'preciate the history. I remember back, before I had my manual, wondering where LASTX went... I actually found it accidentally while I was playing with the emulator and turned on debugging to get the register list up, and noticed that L was appearing to function like a LASTX - voila, eureka!

I use LASTX too, and most of my posting about this topic (as I'm sure you know) has also been tongue-in-cheek devil's advocate stuff... on the other hand, what is your take on whether the LASTX is part of the stack, or tied to the stack? From a single point of view it makes sense (in a way) to clear LASTX when the stack is cleared? Do you remember the lively discussion, or does the thread still exist in the archive?

Also, a point not yet discussed here, does the stack ever really need to be cleared? I argue No. Clearing the stack is not ever necessary. I have only found one reason for needing to clear the stack, and that is when you're not going to use the [ENTER]! If I use the [+] key for enter requires me to have a clear stack initially. Also, if I use the [*] key [X] to clear x the stack needs to be initially clear and kept clear. I often use the [X] to clear x, and use the [+] for entry; the [ENTER] key is then no longer needed, and the replicate of X->Y on [ENTER] stack lift annoyance is gone. Your take?

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Clear Stack (CLST, CLSTK) and LastX - MarkHaysHarris777 - 03-13-2015 04:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)