Does the HP-35S need a 'guide for dummies' how-to guide?
03-08-2015, 08:19 PM
RE: Does the HP-35S need a 'guide for dummies' how-to guide?
(03-08-2015 07:38 PM)MagyarBoy Wrote:  Hi everyone,
thanks for the responses so far.

I think we're saying that HP calculator users tend to understand their hardware pretty well - and even if not there are already media on the web that can guide a new user adequately? And that a 'HP-35S guide for newbies' then is not really necessary?

But is it possible that, for those of us who dwell on this forum, such a manual would be unnecessary? But that there may be people out there who might still benefit from such a manual? these are people that did not use HP calculators for many years, and are unfamiliar with their architecture and style?

OTOH wouldn't these people just buy Casio or TI instead?

Again I'm just trying to ascertain if creating an HP-35S how-to guide for dummies would be a useful way to spend time, or not...

thanks

The 35S has been relatively unpopular with forum members, primarily due to the large number of bugs found quite early in its life and never addressed by HP. In particular, with no I/O and the unreliable checksum tool, confidence in proper entry of large programs was low. That said, there has been quite a resurgence of interest in the 35S in recent months, so I would say the time is good for interest in a guide. As Tugdual noted, and has also been discussed recently, some of the bugs are not fatal and with proper precautions can be avoided.

Instead of (or in addition to) a "for Dummies" guide, at least for the Forum members (which mostly can and do read manuals) needs, I would suggest there would be more interest in a "Problem solving with 35S" type guide which explains some of the more advanced features (which there are plenty of), tips for adapting 41/42/15C programs, how to avoid the bug issues, and similar topics. I know I'd like such a guide. There are many folks here quite seasoned with the 35S that may be willing to contribute some of these portions; if you research the past few months, you will easily find these members as well as some real nuggets to form portions of the guide. Thanks for considering to contribute so early in your time here.

I think I speak for many members here saying I really want to love my 35S more than I do; maybe with such a tool I can.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does the HP-35S need a 'guide for dummies' how-to guide? - rprosperi - 03-08-2015 08:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)