Generic Calculator Shield for Arduino Photo-journal
03-04-2015, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2015 06:47 AM by BarryMead.)
RE: Generic Calculator Shield for Arduino Photo-journal
(03-04-2015 05:54 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  Barry, I am hearing that the Arduino Uno board, or the Teensy board, my be used as the icsp programming gadget running TinyISP.

The other programmer recommended is here.

What say you?

PS TinyISP may become important for avr assembler development. It would be nice to program with the avr-g++ compiler (normal sketching) but in the units with limited memory and slower speeds, assembler may be better ... tucked in the back of this old mind...

marcus
That Pololu programmer is probably nearly identical to the Ada Fruit "USB Tiny" programmer that I use.
The advantage to the Pololu is that you don't have to assemble the kit. The advantage to the USB Tiny
is that it has both the 6-pin ISP and the 10-pin ISP cables. Personally I never use the 10-pin ISP cable
so the Pololu programmer is probably better.

I never program AVR microcontrollers in Assembly. I always use C because it is much less prone
to errors, and almost as efficient as Assembly. The AVR GCC compiler is a standard install on most Linux distros.

You are right about being able to program the Tiny without an ISP device. It can be programmed in native
C or Arduino sketches right over the USB port. If you want to do more powerful things with your regular
Arduino, however the ISP port can be useful, because you can't get to all of the processor's capabilities
with only Arduino sketches.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Generic Calculator Shield for Arduino Photo-journal - BarryMead - 03-04-2015 06:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)