[34S] Proposal for Entry RPN mode with dynamic stack
02-16-2015, 05:21 AM
RE: [34S] Proposal for Entry RPN mode with dynamic stack
(02-16-2015 02:51 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  
(02-16-2015 01:58 AM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  Having a look at the UState flags (still based on 3.1), the LCD contrast setting and the FAST mode flag were possible candidates to be repurposed. While I can see some limited uses for them...
The more important question is do you want these saved and restored using the STOM/RCLM commands?
Given that this mode has possible side effects on program execution as Bit pointed out correctly, it would be highly desirable to make it part of UState, so that it can be easily retrieved, changed, saved and restored in programs.
Quote:Personally, FAST is one I'd want to keep.
Yes, for as long as it may be necessary to monitor and change the speed (f.e. when printing with batteries low), this is important information. It may also be useful when optimizing programs for speed.

Quote:The LCD contrast, on the other hand, isn't something likely to be altered by a program and need restoring. In fact I don't think programs can change this currently.

So that means moving these four bits elsewhere -- what do we lose by doing so?
If it would be important information for a user or program, we could always implement dedicated commands like LCD and LCD? to set and retrieve the current setting.
Quote:I suspect this is all moot unless someone volunteers to code the proposal Smile
Well, I have a clear mind model of how to possibly implement it (based on the abstract description of the calculator's memory organization in the 3.1 manual), but I am not yet familiar with the current implementation on any detail level (I only had a few quick looks at the sources so far). Setting up a development environment for this is on my task list, as I have many other ideas for improvement as well (subject to other threads as time allows). However, although I am excited about this project, right now I am still swamped with other tasks (and this may continue to hold true for some while). So, for me, it could be a mid-term thing only. If someone would have fun and time to go for it earlier, ... ;-)

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [34S] Proposal for Entry RPN mode with dynamic stack - matthiaspaul - 02-16-2015 05:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)