My HP 42S Find and Some Questions
02-04-2015, 02:12 AM
RE: My HP 42S Find and Some Questions
(02-04-2015 01:43 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Agree with John, this is worse than I've seen in most where I've noticed it. Also, we both correctly interpreted the problem, so I guess your description was pretty good after all. Though pics do help express the extent.

Is the problem with bezel lifting strictly cosmetic? e.g. does the glass cover over the LCD move with it - does the image change when you press the bezel down into the groove as intended?

If not, then it probably can be simply, but carefully, glued down, using minimal glue to avoid running. I don't know 3m Super77, but can also suggest JB Weld - which is also quite 'thick' and won't run. I'd use slow curing glue and leave something heavy (or a mild clamp) to hold the bezel all the way "in" while curing. Let it cure for a full 24 hours.

Geoff - Other suggestions??

(02-03-2015 11:45 PM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  And here is a photo of the Astech case, showing the back side when opened. There is a single rubber foot at the bottom. Is that the only one that is supposed to be on the unit?

The Astech case in your photo looks correct. Exactly the same as mine, there is only the 1 small strip of 'rubber' as anti-skid so it wont slide when you use the case opened as a desk-stand. I also have one with this strip missing, been looking for some material to replace that. Suggestions anyone?

It is purely cosmetic. There is no noticeable difference in the display when pressing down the corner. This is a recessed LCD model - is there a glass over the LCD as well?

JB Weld seems rather heavy duty - a steel reinforced epoxy! Let me think about how much it bothers me. I can live with the issue as-is. I just wanted to see what others' experience was in this regard. For the price I paid, I should not be complaining! Other than this, I cannot really see anything wrong with the unit, considering its age, and the fact that it appears to have been actually used during its lifetime.

As for the Astech case, the rubber foot is rather hard now, and does not provide much in the way of 'anti-skid'. I may be in the market to replace that with something new. Again, nothing that bothers me immediately.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My HP 42S Find and Some Questions - Sanjeev Visvanatha - 02-04-2015 02:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)