WP34s flash technical erase procedure
01-29-2015, 06:14 PM
RE: WP34s flash technical erase procedure
(01-29-2015 09:10 AM)walter b Wrote:  This also means your calculator will not do anything useful for you after step 6 and before step 9 is successfully completed in the procedures described below.[/i][/color]"
(This text is printed in red there as well. Emphasis added.)

My interpretation (filters are great, aren't they?) reads that as 'your scientific calculator will not do anything useful ... after step six' meaning to me that the 34s will only be functional when the flash completes and the firmware is 'replaced'. But for some reason, in my brain, I thought that if the flash did not complete a reset on the machine (30b) would bring back the 30b. I thought HP called it 'erase' because its the strobe|switch that initiates the 'receive' of the firmware from the PC... thinking that if the firmware does not come down, the old firmware is still in memory and can be 'restored'. I think it is a dumb idea on HPs part to 'erase' the firmware (gone is gone) before we know if the comm link is going to work to restore it!

In the manual I would change that ONE bold red line to read something more specific (for those of us who are warning challenged) to say something along the lines of, "WARNING: The erase procedure wipes out the 30b firmware in preparation for the download of the 34s firmware. If the 'erase' works, but the firmware flash does not (comm link problem or other) the 30b will not boot-up into the business professional firmware and cannot be reset. DO NOT begin the process until you are prepared to LOSE the 30b firmware!"

I realize this i just a nit, and all other things considered it doesn't even matter... just saying.

Cheers,
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP34s flash technical erase procedure - MarkHaysHarris777 - 01-29-2015 06:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)