WP 34S: Quick access to bitwise operations as on the 16C
01-26-2015, 03:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2015 03:34 AM by Bit.)
RE: WP 34S: Quick access to bitwise operations as on the 16C
(01-26-2015 02:54 AM)BarryMead Wrote:  
(01-25-2015 11:19 PM)Bit Wrote:  I'll be very interested in your feedback once you've tried it out.
I tried out the integer mode key definitions, and I really like your logical choices. I noticed that in base 16 mode the primary function of the SL1 and SR1 hotkeys is replaced by the A-F hex numeric entry keys, and that the "f A" and "f B" also implement SL1 and SR1 operations, but the overlay does not show the SL1 or SR1 in yellow below the A and B keys. Perhaps you could update the overlay to show these useful definitions. I think that many digital Engineers prefer base 16 mode when dealing with binary just because it packs more bits into each digit. When I first tested the feature, I thought that the convenient SL1 and SR1 functions were not possible in base 16 mode looking at the overlay. When I tried what I thought would be a logical place to put the alternate SL1 and SR1 keys, I found to my surprise that you had already implemented my wish list. (Even though it was not obvious by looking at the overlay alone) Thanks again Bit for the excellent well thought out contributions to the WP-34s project. If it is a too crowded under the A and B keys you could shorten the "1CO" and "2CO" down to "1C" and "2C". Perhaps that would help make enough room under the key to add the "SL1" and "SR1" in yellow beneath the A and B keys.

Thank you for the feedback.

If there are programs defined with the names A, B, C or D, then [f] [A] etc. will start those programs instead of invoking the hotkey functions. That's not a feature I introduced, I've merely preserved the original behavior (it's described e.g. in point 1 at the top of page 14 in the PDF version of the 34S documentation). I doubt it'd make sense to change it but feel free to provide counterarguments. Because of this, marking the hotkeys as [f] functions could be misleading.

I'd like to point out that, as explained in the first post, if you hold down [f] or [g], you can quickly invoke not only SL/SR 1 but also ASR and the rotate functions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP 34S: Quick access to bitwise operations as on the 16C - Bit - 01-26-2015 03:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)