User Defined Variables within SOLVE Application
12-27-2013, 05:28 AM
User Defined Variables within SOLVE Application
Hi all,

Have had my HP Prime for a few weeks now & just starting to migrate (manually) many of the equations I use on my HP50G & HP48 series calculators.

I am aware of a number of previous posts regarding issues with the creation & use of other variable names but none of them seem to adequately cover this topic & in particular what I am trying to do in the SOLVE application.

As per my past practice, I am trying to utilise variable names in equations that are meaningful & easy to remember so I first created/defined some USER variables in HOME via VARS>USER> such as: Ta, HC etc. This seemed to work fine & the variables now appear in MEMORY with an initial REAL value of 0. However, when I try to add the equation using these variables in the SOLVE application the equation is automatically altered such that variables like TC are converted to T*C (implied multiplication) & I can't seem to find a way around this. Whilst it is easy to stick with single capital letter variables in SOLVE, I would rather use more familiar terminology & hence have the following questions:

1) Is it possible to use variables consisting of 2 letters or a letter & number in applications such as SOLVE?
2) If the answer to 1) is yes, can these consist of a mix of upper & lower case letters?
3) How is it best to create these variables as my attempt to previously define USER variables didn't seem to work?

The above was all performed with the calculator in RPN within the HOME option & not CAS. Also, running latest firmware version 5447 (25/11/2013) on my calculator.

Any help would be much appreciated & the answers can also perhaps assist others that are just commencing their HP Prime journey.

Cheers,

Michael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
User Defined Variables within SOLVE Application - Michael Lopez - 12-27-2013 05:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)