[WP-34S] Cable and flashing options for Mac users
01-24-2015, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2015 11:47 PM by John Galt.)
RE: [WP-34S] Cable and flashing options for Mac users
(01-24-2015 10:55 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  The bottom line is an assembly/documentation issue due to a cheap, Chinese cable was giving you trouble. Would you still have chosen this path if Jose hadn't jumped in?

Yes, almost certainly. In fact I believe I first learned about the inexpensive cable with Prolific device through dewster's website. I determined a Mac driver was available for it, so at great risk to the $1.79 investment, I was in!

What prompted that research was concern about potentially counterfeit FTDI devices and those implications. As we know the same concerns apply to Prolific.

In any event my research predated creating this thread by some time. This site is unquestionably the most comprehensive resource, but it's not the only one.

(01-24-2015 10:55 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I suggest you leave out the part about the cable assembly and only address the driver and O/S aspect, as that's what makes your experience unique.

I've been thinking about that, since numerous hardware options are already well established on multiple fronts. Once a Mac user has his setup complete, he can decide upon which option best suits his needs.

By the way on that subject, I'm thinking a momentary pushbutton for the Erase function might not be best for me. I'm thinking of a toggle switch, so you don't have to keep a finger on a button while simultaneously pressing Reset or On. Any thoughts? (edit: oops, I see Jonathon Cameron already thought of that - see his first bullet under "a few notes")
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [WP-34S] Cable and flashing options for Mac users - John Galt - 01-24-2015 11:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)