Difference between pocket computer and programmable calculator?
10-02-2022, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2022 11:13 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
RE: Difference between pocket computer and programmable calculator?
SNIP
(09-08-2022 07:31 AM)C.Ret Wrote:  On the other hand, the HP-12C is a pocket computer as well as the HP-28C/S, no keys dedicated to SIN COS or TAN.
Likewise, the Ti58 and Ti59 are indeed pocket computers; in fact, to use their historical designation, pocket programmable!.

Some clarification, please.

First, in what way is the 12C a computer?

Next,
Having three, 41C, CV, and a 58C, I would consider the 41 family a computer. Since it can interface with a printer, barcode reader, card reader, a cassette storage drive, application modules, and even a TV video interface (HP-82163B), it seems the 41 is more a computer than the 58/59. Because the 58/59 can only interface with a thermal printer, software modules, and the card reader/writer (59), I would consider those a calculator. Next, even though it's an RPN calculator, right out of the box, its capabilities are analogous to a computer. Also, I would consider the 58/59 a calculator since its alphanumeric capability can only be accomplished through the printer wheras the alphanumeric capabilities on a 41 can be achieved not only from the printer, but also the display.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Difference between pocket computer and programmable calculator? - Matt Agajanian - 10-02-2022 07:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)