Inputting mixed numbers on HP50g
07-24-2014, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2014 09:29 PM by C.Ret.)
RE: Inputting mixed numbers on HP50g
Hello,

I know at least two methods to make this type of input on a HP50g calculator.
But I am not an expert of the HP48/50 series, I sure there exist a lot of other ways to get it done .

The first way I know is by using the arithmetic expression input method. No programming is required. This method is commun to HP28/48/50.

To input for exemple 3 1/4; first enter algebraic mode by pressing the quote key [ ' ]. Then enter the number such as on the HP35s by replacing first dot with [ + ] key and the second dot with [ / ] key. Terminate by pressing [ENTER] key to let the algebraic expression '3 + 1 / 4' in the stack or by pressing [ f ][NUM->] to directly input 3.25

The second way I may propose is to adapt for the HP50g this little programme I may have used on my HP-28S to mimic any fractional inputs. (In fact this is a short version from a more sophisticate input program I have used a long ago !)

Code:

«
  "" DUP                   @@  One string for last integer input, another for display
  WHILE
    OVER "_" + 4 DISP      @@  Display key sequence at screen bottom
    DO UNTIL KEY END       @@  Wait for one key press
    DUP "ENTER" <>
  REPEAT                   @@  Repeat until user press ENTER

ROT OVER + SWAP        @@  Add keyed digit (or any caracter) to both strings
    ROT OVER + SWAP            

IF  "." SAME           @@ IF user press the dot key [ . ]
    THEN STR-> SWAP "" END @@   store last inputed integer in the stack and prepare for next entry
    END
  END        
  DROP SWAP DROP           @@ Drop "ENTER" and 'display' string from stack
  STR-> / +                @@ compute fractional input   n+a/b 
  CLMF                     @@ Return HP28S in normal display mode
»

Running FNINP allow fractional number input by pressing only digits, the dot key (two times) and ENTER key to terminate the input.

Sorry, I am unable to directly translate this code into revelant HP50g RPL dialect. But I hope this may still help you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Inputting mixed numbers on HP50g - C.Ret - 07-24-2014 09:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)