Valentín's website update thread - comments and appreciation
10-14-2021, 07:17 AM
RE: Valentín's website update thread - comments and appreciation
(10-14-2021 01:24 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(10-13-2021 09:40 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Judging by ijabbott's reply and yours, it seems my (allegedly) simple and clear post has been thoroughly misunderstood, can't figure why.

I did indeed misread your post, and like ijabbott, thought your intention was to have a message indeed be at the top; a slower reading clarifies your point.

However, I'll add here that I truly prefer new posts (including updates) actually be at the top, to get my attention that there is something new to explore. Updating a post whose original posting may be weeks or months old means that it is down, well below the fold, and thus out of sight. It will only be seen by folks that think to bookmark the post and then go check it to see if there has been an update.

One easy way to achieve both is to copy/paste the prior posting into a new one, add the new content for the update and then post it. Once done, the prior post can be easily deleted, since all that content is now in the new one.

Another option would be for Valentin to update the top post of the thread and post a reply when he has updated the top post. The same thread can be used for replies from other people. This is similar to how the "summation based benchmarks" thread works. I don't think the model of having replies in a separate thread has been working that well in the past for Valentin's previous updates, at least until the recent big update.

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Valentín's website update thread - comments and appreciation - ijabbott - 10-14-2021 07:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)