Public Beta Availiable - Win/Firmware
04-17-2021, 01:25 PM
RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Firmware
I don't think native code has a near 0 probability of happening, otherwise I wouldn't discuss.

I'm not against a wasm interpreter for those who are happy with a wasm solution, but I would not be happy for speed reasons at least and I'm probably not alone. I would certainly not spend time myself to port KhiCAS on the Prime with a slow wasm solution. On the other hand, with native code support, I would certainly port KhiCAS to the Prime, this would be the most powerful calculator platform where I could do that. And this could serve as a wide-testing area for giac (optimizations testing, improvements, new features, including integration of other projects like multiprecision floats and QuickJS), before those with compatible license could be integrated in Prime firmwares.

The main reason not to have native code is the fear that Prime could be banned because of exam mode attacks. Like every decision, there are advantages (e.g. for the CAS) and risks to bring native code support. Zero risk does not exist but I believe it is far over-estimated. Look at the history records for other calculators:
* Casio has native code support since about 10 years: AFAIK, there hasn't been any exam mode concern with addin
* ndless brings native code support on the TI Nspire since 2011 according to wikipedia: there hasn't been any exam mode concern
* there is asm support on the TI83/84. There were exam mode concerns on the TI83, but related to OS bugs, not to asm code.
Moreover the probability to see someone play with exam mode is proportionnal to the user basis size in schools and the Prime has certainly less users than more affordable models like B&W Casio fx 9860 series with native code support.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Firmware - parisse - 04-17-2021 01:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)