What is this "order of operation" cult now with math?
04-04-2021, 11:50 AM
RE: What is this "order of operation" cult now with math?
A question. What is the relation here about two things a fractio s vs multiplication they are the same thing, but it seems that in some schooling paths the division and fraction is given difference by mixed division symbols (non universal marking)?
This is/was problematic before UTF8, typesets might had or might not had two division symbols.

If we assume fractions as an object (I can't remember what was the algebraic equivalent word) written with symbol '/' and all other divisions with this 'minus with dots', then the interpretation of 16 will be much more understandable with applying the O.O.O. Still this is interpretation question, not as much mathematics rules.

Personally I need to remember to draw the ambiquity card if I find myself sitting to some official examination with this kind of 1-line questions at future. Btw. I can remember this ambiquity thing was a common place at highschool (and after) and if exams had ambiquity found by students it would be removed from exam or corrected by teacher at examination.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is this "order of operation" cult now with math? - Vtile - 04-04-2021 11:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)