Sharp electronic organizers with the IC card slot (Wizard OZ/IQ/PA/PI series)
03-29-2021, 04:27 PM
RE: Sharp electronic organizers with the IC card slot (Wizard OZ/IQ/PA/PI series)
Regarding the "OZ"/Wizard vs. "IQ" branding, that decision process occurred before I started working with that group, so I'm not 100% sure, however an informed guess is that the idea came from Japan (though confirmed by Sharp-US) to establish a widely and instantly-recognized brand name, but they likely concluded (probably correctly) that "The Wizard of OZ" would not be instantly recognized with positive connotations in other markets, so stuck with "IQ", also having universal positive spin.

There were indeed OZ-775 EPROM cards for the US market; in the case of the Beta BASIC card I sent to Joe, we used an "IQ" card as it was available, and was not to be sold.

Joe is right that the 32K/64K BASIC card is also a pre-release card and not in a production configuration. It is a VAR card with retail face (see below)

There were 4 "BASIC Card" products sold in the US market:

OZ-707, Retail card with keypad decal, 32K RAM, 16-column
OZ-770, VAR market card with blank keypad, 64KB, 16-column
OZ-8B03, Retail card with keypad decal, 32K RAM, 16/40-column (replaced 707)
OZ-871, VAR market card with blank keypad, 128KB, 16/40-column (replaced 770)

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sharp electronic organizers with the IC card slot (Wizard OZ/IQ/PA/PI series) - rprosperi - 03-29-2021 04:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)