To clean - or not to clean ... ?
03-18-2021, 07:06 AM
To clean - or not to clean ... ?
Hi,

I recently managed to buy a classic HP35.

I knew from the ad that it was an old one (1143A....) and with a frontplate without the "35" – so probably from the second production version since no red dot.
When I got it (with original case, manual and charger, even the (un-posted) service-card dated "1972-10-12" was still there), I realized it was quite a pristine device. As far as I can see, the device has never been opened (the backpanel seems to be the original one (“Made in” etc. is on the small label between the bottom feet) without any bent corners). All visible screws are "white" compared to “black” ones on newer models.

It even has the 2.02 bug Smile

There is some silvery color missing on the frame above the switch but no scratches and even the rubber feet looks fine. But since it has probably been in an office for many years (and probably forgotten in a drawer since then - luckily without battery!) it is a bit dirty.

So, what would your advice be? Should I disassemble the unit and clean it, or leave it as it is? I’m eager to get it cleaned – but I know that even how careful I am – the backplate will probably not be the same again.

It is working perfectly - all keys, display and the switch, and I intend to keep it in my collection, but curious how you would have done.

Cheers,
Thomas

[35/45/55/65/67/97/80 21/25/29C 31E/32E/33E|C/34C/38E 41C|CV|CX 71B 10C/11C/12C/15C|CE/16C 32S|SII/42S 28C|S 48GX/49G/50G 35S 41X]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
To clean - or not to clean ... ? - ThomasF - 03-18-2021 07:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)