41 Module Library: Last chance for common sense
11-25-2017, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2017 09:53 PM by pier4r.)
RE: 41 Module Library: Last chance for common sense
(07-14-2016 09:12 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  ...
Even some of you do not want to understand my position I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE PROFIT, I only want to get back a small amount for my investment. Thats why I call it a refund and not a sale.
I chime in in the discussion because I'd like to produce an unsolicited response to your point.

First and foremost, for the rules of the current world, you have all the right to hold your possessions all by yourself. There is no problem in this, otherwise the current rules won't allow it.

Nevertheless I don't understand your request, and now I proceed to explain why.

For my perspective I see at least two ways (I guess there may be more) to be a user of "old calculators" (or whatever other object).
- one is to somewhat use them or find them useful.
- another is to buy them hoping to resell them later.

I assume, due to your posts, that the first case is the real case. You have your collection first and foremost because you want to get personal utility from it, aside from money in selling it back.

If it is so, I understand you even less. (I could understand a bit the part of "I buy low to sell high later")

Why do I don't understand you? Due to the utility factor.

When I buy a product that I'd like to posses and, even better, use, I make an initial investment in resources that match the expected utility that I will get from the object.

So in December 2010 I bought myself an hp50g for 100 Euros (quite high for me at the time, but even now it would be high).

With the following courses the experience in using the calculator repaid the expected utility fully. This because I spent 100 Euros, that for me were equal to some "expected" amount of utility points (that are subjective, they are more or less defined by feelings), say 500. In the subsequent months I studied for the university, I produced documentation with the 50g, I read forums, and I was happy to use it. It generated way more than 500 utility points. I estimate it was around 900 or 1000.

Even when, afterwards, I did not use it much, the only idea that the 50g was there near to me ready to help, generated utility points.

Then I used it again in 2013, and then in 2017 (now I am using it since some months, more or less). Those 100 Euros were nothing compared to the utility it produced. The 50g is close to 5000 utility points produced, if not more. I am really happy with it and I hope it won't break soon.

Those utility points, though, are not generated only by the calculator itself. The calculator, although wonderful, has the value greatly improved by the community online with discussions over years, publications, challenges, libraries (thanks you again, David! Thank you Claudio!) and so on.

So most of those utility points assigned to the 50g come from the community.

If the same applies to you, I would imagine that you bought your 41 to use it. It was, maybe, very expensive but I hope it gave back the utility points that you were expecting over years. Likely you found useful also the discussions online, the new modules, the interests for modules. The programming challenges or the math challenges. The discussions and so on.

Furthermore I imagine you used the modules you bought, or you enjoyed the manuals or you enjoyed already the idea to possess them.

All those are utility points.

Further involvement of the community with modules that you have, discussion, challenges, extensions and what not would generate more utility points related to what you already have.

Hence a question arise. If all those events did not repay you back of the investment you did, in terms of utility points, , then it is a pity. Then I can understand why you seek to get some money back, because the thing that you have already, and what you can get back from the community, are not enough to justify the investment that you did.

If, instead, you can tell me that the modules you bought, the manuals, the discussion you read online, the hp 41 and so on and so forth gave you already plenty of nice time, then you have your money back. The investment that you did, already repaid you in terms of utility points, and - at least in this community that is amazing (see note1) - can get only better if you share. Because if you share you have someone else to discuss with about the modules of your interest. (I hope)

Or maybe you got a module and you never used, although being happy to possess it, but then you see another member finding another nice usage for it and you engage him in a conversation and you are happy too. Those will be utility points.

I do not even have a 41 or a clone (for now), but it baffles me the idea that you have your collection and you did not get enough from it or you don't want to get enough for possible future topics that would arise from it.

So, that is my unsolicited response. Once again, you are completely free to do what you want and I thank you for the opportunity to let me write this wall of text. It gave me utility points as well. I just hope that it may let you reflect and if not, at least I hope you still enjoy your 41.

note1: some other communities are toxic, and I can understand people that don't like to share to those people.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 41 Module Library: Last chance for common sense - pier4r - 11-25-2017 09:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)