User-defined functions in Free42
01-11-2021, 04:47 AM
RE: User-defined functions in Free42
(01-11-2021 01:15 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Regarding the features themselves, I agree with one of Pauli's comments, why not include FUNC3 and FUNC4, for (not common, but still happen) situations needing more arguments? It's just a matter of time before someone needs them, so why not add them at the start of all the testing, trying to break them, etc.?

Yes, I like that suggestion. The number of inputs and outputs could be parameterized pretty easily. Since neither can be greater than four, all possibilities could be expressed with a two-digit number, so the syntax could be, say, FUNC 31 for 3 inputs, 1 output. I see no reason not to allow all 25 possibilities.

(01-11-2021 01:15 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Regarding state files, do you mean there is a new state file format, or merely that the new s/w version will write non-backward compatible state files, which is understandable?

The latter. If you run the new version, and then run the previous version, you will get the message State File Too New. (See: FREE42_VERSION in free42/common/core_globals.cc) This happens every time some new piece of information needs to be added to the state file. All versions of Free42 can read previous versions' state files, but forward compatibility breaks whenever there is a format change like this. For this latest change, the internal version is going from 30 to 31, so this is not a rare event, and I don't usually mention it when it happens, but in case of a test build like this, I think a warning is required.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: User-defined functions in Free42 - Thomas Okken - 01-11-2021 04:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)