The HP-37s scientific calculator?
01-01-2021, 01:45 PM
RE: The HP-37s scientific calculator?
(01-01-2021 12:35 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

(01-01-2021 01:30 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Can't that relatively small need (if it indeed exists at all) be filled by using existing scientific and graphical calculators that are already produced for the education market?

This is probably what is mostly done right now. We have had this discussion since a long time (and should continue to discuss for as long as anybody cares to make calculators!) and the more the years go by, the fewer professionals use pocket calculators at work. When I finished my engineering studies in aerospace engineering in 1986 or so that was already the case in my field. I have never seen anyone (other than accountants and sales persons) use a pocket calculator in the office or lab. Nowhere, ever.

But if I could actually use a calculator for some "real" calculations it would certainly not be one these NCEES approved models. Apart from the HP33s and HP35s these are currently all Casio fx-115 and fx-991 models and all TI-30X and TI-36X models. There must be dozens of variants of those Casio and Ti calculators and they all have in common their price range between 15 and 25 Euros. The HPs are standing out from these not only because they are/were more expensive by factor of 2 to 4 and because there are programmable. At least something, but not really all that useful in practical terms without permanent storage. If that can't be implemented by NCEES standards the only other way to compete on that market will be through the retail price. And do we really want HP calculators that are made more cheaply than the HP35s?

Regards
Max
Technically we already have that with the HP 10s+ and the HP 300s+...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The HP-37s scientific calculator? - Steve Simpkin - 01-01-2021 01:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)