The HP-37s scientific calculator?
12-31-2020, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2020 11:54 PM by trojdor.)
RE: The HP-37s scientific calculator?
(12-31-2020 05:54 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

(12-30-2020 10:32 PM)trojdor Wrote:  Any replacement needs to "up it's game" to make it easier to hold it's own against the other NCEES approved calculators

Is that really so? Firstly there are already plenty of approved calculators, a saturated market so to say, and secondly, calculators are sold worldwide. Zero percent of customers outside the US care about NCEES approval and a very large percentage within the US will not care either. So I would say just forget a about this and make a calculator instead that can and will be used by professionals on their job.

Regards
Max

Hello Max, and Happy New Year!

Firstly, saturated market? There are fundamentally 2 other calculators to choose from for the NCEES Professional Engineers licensing exams. If I went to the grocery store and found a total of 2 boxes of cereal on the shelves, I wouldn't think the shelves were saturated/full, LOL.

I wholeheartedly agree that whatever HP might do, it should be useful for a Professional Engineer to use daily at their job....but that is the whole point of the NCEES exams. They simulate what a potential engineer might face at a stressful day at work. If you can't do the job, then no license for you.

Most country's (not just the U.S.) licensing tests are intentionally difficult and hard to pass, so both the FE and PE candidates must invest many hours of study. And the calculator they choose to use to practice/study to get their license with, will typically be the one they use throughout their career. (At least the same brand, if not model.)

Right now, that means that the typical/average working professional engineer will supplement Excel with either a TI, a Casio, or a phone app.

Here's to hoping 2021 is a better year for everyone!
mike

ENTER > =
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The HP-37s scientific calculator? - trojdor - 12-31-2020 09:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)