wp34s: the strict rpn sorta bugs me
12-19-2013, 08:29 PM
RE: wp34s: the strict rpn sorta bugs me
Why strict RPN? As mentioned, many are used to it and like it. The WP 34S was specifically created to be an RPN machine. And, being open, anyone who really wants to can modify the code and make any changes they want.

Why prefer RPN? For a single line display which is also the X register / bottom of the stack, it is a simple and intuitive scheme. The somewhat byzantine stack lift rules for ENTER and such soon become second nature to most users.

RPL is a great advance that came along with later generation hardware including many line full graphic and alphanumeric displays, massive increases in RAM and ROM, etc. along with fantastically more capable system firmware allowing all sorts of data types.

I think of the difference by analogy: RPN is somewhat like a pocket knife; RPL is more like a bandsaw; Mathematical / Maple / etc. are like four axis computer controlled milling machines. Each has its advantages and place of use. I'm not without my knife - it's too useful in so many circumstances. And my WP 34S as well as Free42 on my Android phone are as well.

Best to you in your use of these terrific tools!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
wp34s: the strict rpn sorta bugs me - eri - 12-18-2013, 09:32 PM
RE: wp34s: the strict rpn sorta bugs me - Jim Horn - 12-19-2013 08:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)