Emu48 : Malware infection or more false positives?
10-16-2020, 05:18 PM
RE: Emu48 : Malware infection or more false positives?
(10-15-2020 03:54 AM)CMarangon Wrote:  Hello!

In the worse situation all you need to do is save data and reinstall Windows 10.

First, I seriously doubt that the Emu48 installer executable available from http://www.hpcalc.org and Christoph Gießelink's own web site would *both* be infected with malware, although anything's possible.

Secondly, I've put both files and their embedded Emu48 executables through Malwarebytes and ESET NOD32 as well as Virustotal's dozens of virus scanners, and the only positive result for malware was from just *one* detection engine on Virustotal, so, I think that result is probably bogus ( also, it was from some obscure virus scanner that I'd never heard of ).

Thirdly, if this is a worst case scenario, and my machine was infected by ransomware, then I'd surely know it by now. Also, due to how most ransomware works, just "save data and reinstall Windows 10" would not work as the data would have all been encrypted, with the encryption key being held by the author of the ransomware -- in essence, all my data would be toast.

As it is now and as far as I can tell, nothing has been maliciously altered on this Windows 10 machine. Still, I'd appreciate it if some else who's running Windows 10 Pro x64 and also Acronis True Image 2021 would try installing the latest version of Emu48 and then try saving Emu48's state to a file to see if Acronis True Image behaves the same -- it would really ease my mind Smile

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Emu48 : Malware infection or more false positives? - Jonathan Busby - 10-16-2020 05:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)