Numworks graphing calculator is made for students raised on tech
03-28-2020, 11:04 PM
RE: Numworks graphing calculator is made for students raised on tech
(03-28-2020 07:06 PM)Jean-Baptiste Boric Wrote:  
(03-28-2020 03:08 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  And do you really want to use the new Numworks calculator f/w the day after it has been 'fixed' ? Who tests the fix after the code is changed but before it's released on Github? How much regression testing is done, and by whom?

Speedy access is nice for some things, but quality calculator releases that are fewer are further apart make more sense to me.

You can stick to the official releases, which come out about once every 3 months for major versions. Or you can enroll in the beta programs. Or you can build the master branch to get the latest developments published to date. Or you can use the third-party firmware Omega which includes just about everything the community has created in one package. Or you can roll out your own firmware with all the bells and whistles you want.

It's not just about a faster release schedule than the competition. You are in control of your hardware and you don't have to rely on the original manufacturer for support.

Seems like a field day for folks that want to develop and tweak calculator f/w, which I am not one. I prefer to use them, once they've been well-tested. Doesn't make me right, it's just different strokes for different folks and all that.

Does the Numworks original manufacturer (whoever that is) do thorough release and regression testing, and how is the quality of the official releases (it doesn't matter for the others)?

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Numworks graphing calculator is made for students raised on tech - rprosperi - 03-28-2020 11:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)